In remembrance of our dear friend and colleague, David Langford

David blog plaque

Langford 02
David Langford 

David Langford, inspirational instructor at Make-up Designory’s LA campus, passed away June 25, 2017. We continue to find ourselves full of sorrow.

David’s passion for life, teaching, and make-up will not be forgotten. The entire Burbank campus carries memories of David saying “Heeeyyy!” in the most infectious and jovial way that made the greeting so special and put a smile on everyones’ face immediately. Part of our faculty since 2010, but a member of the MUD extended family for much longer.

David’s accomplishments in his long career as a Make-up artist and teacher include helping bring the iconic Elvira: Mistress of the Dark character to life, being a Department Head at Paramount, as well as, Disney, and a member of I.A.S.T.E Local 706, the Make-up and Hairstylists Guild. In spite of a long and expansive freelance career, he always returned to teaching.  He touched the careers of numerous make-up artists in the industry and we are certain his memory will live on through them and their work.

We have received an abudnance of amazing messages and stories honoring David’s memory and would love to share the joy he infected us of all with.

“David and I not only shared a love of make-up and teaching that goes back to the late eighties, but we also shared a birthday. He had an enthusiasm and a love of life that was so contagious and I could not help but smile whenever I was around him. He truly cared abouthis students and whether they succeeded, he and I would often talk about what graduates are doing and how proud he was. He was a teacher, a mentor and a friend that touched so many people in such a positive way that I feel honored to have worked with him and even luckier to call him a friend.”

-Paul Thompson, Director of Education

“David Langford knew the key to life… and he lived it up.

I never saw David in a bad mood. He found joy in everything. He had this way of making things fun. It was a gift, a gift he shared with everyone – Instructors, Students, Executives, Administration, etc…everyone loved David. He had a seemingly endless supply of energy, patience, kindness, and creative ideas.

Never jaded, the ever enthusiastic David would proudly parade his student’s creative works through my classroom every six weeks. In turn my students would be greeted in his classroom with applause and cheers that only a sincere joy for teaching built into his DNA could produce.

I will miss our trips to Hobby Lobby and Goodwill digging for treasures to use for our open house tag team make-up demonstrations. I will miss grooming his eyebrows “just this side of drag queen” as David liked to say. I will even miss his car clutter, his mustache, and his infamous ancient flip phone. Mostly, I will miss the kind of man who took an hour out of his day to show my four year old the joys of making goo out of water and corn starch.

I always felt proud when David referred to me as the east coast version of him, and I hope to live up to that.

“The root of joy is gratefulness…It is not joy that makes us grateful: it is gratitude that makes us joyful.” – David Steindl-Rast

Thank you David for all the joy!”

-Lisa Leveridge, MUD Instructor

“In memory of David Langford-

When I think about David the first thing that comes to mind is his laugh. He would do just about anything for the joke, mostly at his own expense. Laughing so hard tears would run down his cheeks, harder still when you joined in.

We would talk endlessly about movies we loved and those we would watch again and again. Quoting lines from our favorites, laughing out-loud at the silliness of it all. Good times. Of course that’s not all we talked about, topics were vast from sharing recipes to naming show-tunes. You always knew when David was walking down the halls at MUD, you could  hear him whistling some old tune from South Pacific or just about any other Broadway song, past or present.

An exceptional artist, he loved his craft. I truly believe he loved teaching even more. Sharing his experiences and knowledge, students loved him.

His room is directly across the hall from mine. I will miss him coming into my room asking if I have a sec so he can show me something he has just discovered or, re-discovered. I will miss our conversations, his excitement over what a student has just created or, when he just wanted to borrow a bobby pin. I will miss my friend.

To quote a line from one of our favorite movies, David,

“Ya know I love ya more than my luggage’

Rest in Peace dear David”

-Yvonne Hawker, MUD Instructor

David Langford demo at Open House

“If there is one thing I know for certain, it’s that there is no other human in this universe like David. He was a magical man who made me laugh until my cheeks hurt, who made the classroom a warm (literally) and welcoming environment, and who made my passion for artistry grow that much more. I feel honored to have known him and to have been taught by him. He was such a special man who will forever remain in my heart.”

-Cait Nash, MUD Grad, Makeup Artist

“I can’t even begin to explain David because he was just so magical. There is nobody else like him & I am so grateful to have known him, even though it was only for a short while. David used to keep these little penny coins that him and his kids made at Disneyland years ago, and whenever he was having a rough day, or someone was upset with him he would rub those coins to remind him to stay calm and to think about his kids. A week or so ago, I was having a particularly rough day in class, I was very frustrated. David could clearly see I was stressed and he took the coins out of his pocket and handed them to me. It was such a special moment for me because that meant he felt comfortable enough with me to lend me a little calmness. David was one of the best and truly most talented, I’m so glad I had an opportunity to get to know him.”

-Cicely Raposa, current student at MUD LA

Thank you, David, for all of the joy and light you brought to all of us each and everyday.